The Nebraska Department of Agriculture (NDA) has designated the safety and security of agriculture as high priority. NDA continues in these efforts by:
- Working with State and Federal partners to implement a State Homeland Security Plan which interfaces with national initiatives.
- Working with the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to expand the emergency response plan to include food and agriculture.
- Partnering with the United States Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (USDA/APHIS), specifically planning for response to emergencies involving contagious animal diseases.
- Developing a statewide Livestock Emergency Disease Response System (LEDRS), comprised of private, state and federal practitioners, university extension educators, and government regulatory staff.
- Working hand in hand with the Nebraska Health and Human Services System (HHSS) regarding the human implications of food and dairy product emergencies as well as that of animal health issues as they affect humans.
- Providing statewide training to county officials and emergency managers concerning agricultural emergencies and related responses.
- Exercising plans at all levels to determine effectiveness.
NDA is determined to be prepared to provide necessary guidance, training and leadership to protect Nebraska's number one industry. . . .agriculture.
Livestock Emergency Disease Response System (LEDRS)
FEMA - Federal Emergency Management Agency
NEMA - Nebraska Emergency Management Agency
State Emergency Operations Plan
White House - Homeland Security